Saturday, November 19, 2011

Call to the Bullpen

Hello all, its Chris filling in tonight. We are up in Seattle for the weekend, and Evey isn't feeling well today so she called in the backup. Apparently according to her, "my name is on the blog so its counts."

I come from a pretty musically inclined family--my dad is quite the accomplished guitar player, my brother is a very good drummer, and my mom can sing the lights out. I, however, uhhh...can clap good. Sure, I play a mean drum set on Rock Band, but we all know that's not for real.

I like music. I like most types and genres, with the exception being country. I have really been getting into a couple of bands lately--most notably Death Cab for Cutie. They are obviously quite popular as well as from Seattle and probably my favorite indie rock band. I also love classic rock, with bands like Led Zeppelin, The Who, The Beatles, AC/DC etc. I also love techno--like Fatboy Slim and Daft Punk, and I just discovered "dubstep," which is kind of like slowed techno but with funky bass drops and beats. I like rap too, like Beastie Boys and Jay-Z. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention a couple more of my favorite bands--Radiohead, Weezer, and Kings of Leon. Heck--I even like a couple of Beyonce and Christina Aguilera songs. I'm not ashamed. Don't judge.

Now, you'd think that being a fan of all these bands, I would love going to concerts. Well, not really. Not that I hate going, or I don't want to go, but I have never really been into concerts for whatever reason. I guess whenever I look for live tickets, its usually for a sporting event, not a concert. The only concerts I have been to are as follows: Sarah McLachlan (which is one of my wife's favorites, so I bit the bullet) and U2. I like U2, but their shows are so big that I don't think you get a real feel for their music. I think I would much rather enjoy a smaller show...if I were to go at all. I guess its kinda like going to a football game--the experience is great, but you can watch for free at home, sit on your couch and drink your own beer and watch in HD.

Much like concerts, I don't even buy a lot of CD's (which are slowly going the way of the buffalo anyways). I guess nowadays you just buy it on iTunes and call it good. It's mainly the radio for me, which I listen to inbetween driving from store to store during the day. But I think next year I am going to make a resolution to go to a couple of shows--they don't need to be huge like U2, but I'd like to at least see Death Cab and being that we live in Portland now, its got quite the music scene so it should be easy.

What are your favorite bands? Have you been to a crazy show and lived to tell about it?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm digging The Lonely Forest, Band of Horses, and Kings of Leon these days. I'm like you... not much for concert-going. The last show I was at was Gideon's Press in a small club downtown Tacoma('97?). Small, intimate, and I stood there in awe the whole time at how amazing they were.

-B

Andrea said...

Good job blogging, Chris! I'm with ya on the concert thing. Never been a fan. For the record, my impressive list includes: Starship, Rick Springfield, UB40, Green Day, and News Boys. Wow. B recently introduced me to Spotify. I am going to search for some of that techno of which you speak.