Wednesday, May 09, 2007

FRIENDSHIP -- BLOG OFF FOR BREAST CANCER

--Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same--
I have been fortunate in my life to meet some amazing people and have been blessed with friendships that have changed my life. I really don't believe that we could make it through this life without friendship. I always hear people always say that as you get older finding those lifelong friendships become harder and harder to come across. I am not sure I totally believe that. I think maybe we become a little more closed and a little more guarded as we get older. At least that is how it is for me. But I do know that in the last couple of years I have met people that are not only my friends but friends who will be around for the long haul.

I love the kind of friendships that just happen. You know the ones. One day you just meet someone and a simple conversation turns into a friendship that you never saw coming but you are so thankful you now have. Those friendships are the ones that come so naturally to you that you never have to work at it.

Recently I have reconnected with some old friends from way back when. It is an amazing feeling when you realize that they have thought about you just as much over the years as you have them. The test of true friendship in my opinion are the ones that are still there after all that time, after all the separation and years of not speaking you realize that bond never went anywhere in the first place. One of my best friends from my teenage years and I have recently gotten back in touch after almost 12 years. There is no good reason for the years between then and now. We simply grew apart, we lived in different places and led different lives. I have realized though that all those years we were out of touch our friendship was still there. That bond that made us so close in the first place never went away, and I am so excited she is once again a part of my life. Her and her fiancee will be coming here to Boston in a few weeks and I cannot tell you how excited I am to be able to hug her and just be in her presence.
--Those truly linked don't need correspondence. When they meet again after many years apart, Their friendship is as true as ever--
I think too often we take our friendships for granted. I certainly know I am guilty of that at times. Sometimes I think back on friendships that have been lost that i know had I been a little less stubborn that relationship could have been salvaged. But such is life. You live, you learn and you move on and you pray to God that the next time around you will get it right.

Sometimes people come into our lives at just the right time. One of my friends who I hold very close to my heart is a friend I met about a month before my mum passed away. Her best friend had died the month before in a horrific car crash so we had that common bond of loss and grief. We found solid ground to stand on together and in the midst of our grief we found a friendship that has no boundaries and no matter where either of us go in this life the place she holds in my heart will never change. While grieving her own loss she stepped in and helped me through the hardest time of my life. In some ways she saved my life. When I needed to cry, she let me. When I needed to yell, she let me yell at her. When I needed to hate the world, she let me hate her. When I needed someone to yell at me and put me in my place she did, and when I needed to just be silent with someone I could do that with her. It didn't matter what it was, she was everything I needed her to be and THAT is the kind of friendship that I hope we all can find at least once in our lives.
This is a post for the Blog Off for Breast Cancer. Feel free to click on any of the links on the right to check out any of the other blogs involved. Also, if you'd like to make a donation to Courtney, please click on the banner below.

11 comments:

QueenieCarly said...

Hey, I'm one of those friendships that just happen! Sometimes I think back to that night and smile thinking how random it was that we connected the way we did.

And you are right, friendship is so precious. We should never take it for granted and yet, it seems human nature that we do. Such is life, I suppose. You live, learn.

Anonymous said...

I would be completely lost without my friends. It's funny how friendship shifts over experience and time.

Kirst said...

Well said, once again. I agree with Courtney. I would be totally lost without my friends. I don't take any friend for granted. Thanks Evey.

Miss H. said...

Here, here...I agree that friendship is a very precious commodity.

Sketti said...

I've always struggled to make close friends, I make friends easily but I've never had a friend like you! I'm hoping that in this case...absence does make the heart grow fonder! I can't wait to see you and for you to meet my Smiley. You are the best friend I've ever had and that still rings true all these years later! 15 more sleeps!

Young Lady said...

a very nice post

Zoe said...

I love friends! I think that blogging has allowed me to have some friends that I would have never met . . . like getting to know you!

Cute cartoon!! LOL!

Anonymous said...

I agree...friends...thank God.

Erin said...

great post. i think unexpected friendships may be the best. it's nice when you have the surprise of finding someone who can identify with you and cares about you.

Anonymous said...

I liked the part about friendships that just happen.

I will take a person's contact info down, and I'll make the first move, but nothing will happen.

I should just not trip, you know?

Cupcake Blonde said...

This is a great post. It is funny how people come and go from our lives. There are people I have known forever and can pick up right where we left off no matter how long it has been since seeing them. And then there are those I was so close to and suddenly never talk to any more. And then the friends I meet through blogging who I never thought would become such a huge part of my life!

Another wonderful post!