Wednesday, May 16, 2007

KISS - BLOG OFF FOR BREAST CANCER

While I was doing some browsing around the web for some inspiration on what to write today I came across the word on Wikipedia. How interesting to find out that there is a scientific word for kissing. Did you know that? Seriously? Cause I didn't. The scientific name for kissing is "osculation." I thought kissing was just...kissing. I had no idea we needed a scientific name for it. It has got me thinking about what other words have scientific names, but that's for another time.

At first when I thought of kiss, my thoughts immediately went to my first kiss with Chris. The first time I met Chris in person (we met online) I was so shy and standoffish--cold as ice as he likes to describe it--he knew there was no way he was going to have any hopes of kissing me. In fact, I am pretty certain that he went home afterwards expecting we would be nothing more than friends. A few weeks later a friend and I went down to Seattle for a few days to hang out with Chris. After a night out drinking Budweiser and eating Chris's moms leftover spaghetti, I was ready to call it a night. As I climbed into bed Chris poked his head in to make sure I was settled ok. We started chatting, and before I knew it he was leaning over informing me that he was going to kiss me. This time I was not cold. I kissed him back and I was very very happy he had kissed me. However, what he said after he kissed me is the one thing that will make me never forget that night. He looks straight into my eyes and says "You taste like Bud!" We both started laughing and I will never ever forget that moment. What a romantic he is ;)

In my research the last few days it has been interesting to me to come across all the different meanings and symbolism of a kiss. One thing that has always struck me as funny is how in a lot of European countries they greet each other with kisses on the cheek. I am not saying I think this is a bad thing necessarily, I am just not sure how I would feel about walking around kissing and being kissed by people I have just met. It just seems weird to me, even if it is only on the cheek. I guess its a good thing I don't live in France and even better I live in Boston where you are more likely to get flipped the bird rather than be kissed. To each their own I suppose.
Public displays of affection are something I am not exactly black or white about. For me it really depends on the situation. I am a little shy around other people when it comes to kissing Chris. For the most part I am a very private person and usually am a little shy about locking lips in public. Now don't get me wrong--a peck here and there is nothing, but chances are I am not about to full on make out with Chris while walking through the mall, sorry folks. Spending time on public transit offers me the opportunity to view all sorts of PDA's. Sometimes it makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I mean really, is it necessary for you to eat your girlfriends face while sitting next to me on the bus? I really don't think it is, and yet it happens anyways. I don't get it. Kissing is a beautiful thing when it is done in the right manner and in the right place. I wish more people realized that.

The worst kiss would have to be receiving a kiss from someone in the mob. Knowing it was their way of saying goodbye to you because you have done something that has earned you a bullet to the head. That just can't be a good feeling. Or what about the ever famous kiss of betrayal from Judas when he kissed Jesus on the cheek to allow the Romans to know he was the one they were to take away to be crucified.

For those of you who have met my dog, you are fully aware of the fact that she is a licker. We tried to break her of that habit early on but it just never took. We came to the realization that she loves to kiss and decided we would just let her be that way. If you don't like it, I apologize. But like the rest of us, her kisses are just a way to show her love and affection, don't hate her for it;)This is a post for the Blog Off for Breast Cancer. Feel free to click on any of the links on the right to check out the other blogs involved. Also, if you'd like to make a donation to Courtney, please click on the banner below.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha, my friends dog is a licker and it drives me nuts! Cute, but it drives me nuts.

I also totally har you on PDA's. Blegh, I just want to yell at them to keep it to themselves!

I didn't even think about the idea of a mob kiss... yikes.

Sketti said...

Ah yes...Europeans...Here in England its not so bad...you generally kiss someone on the cheek like you would hug somone...to say hello or good bye. In a way I find it less personal than a hug. You can still keep your distance (with a hug it's up close and personal!) and it's not really a kiss. try it...kiss someone on the cheek the same time they are trying to kiss you on the cheek...it's more of a cheek bump. France is worse...as people you've never met before do it...and on either cheek...and sometimes three times...not sure what that is about! But you try getting used to the kiss thing...and see friends from back home and you lean in for the little kiss thingy...but they pull you in for a hug...It's very embaressing kissing someones ear!

Great Post!

Kirst said...

I agree with PDA. Nobody wants to see that. I find it makes most people uncomfortable. Making out is for private.
Again another wonderful post.

Jodi said...

My dog is a licker too.

I am glad I don't live where kissing is expected when you meet someone either. I am not an overly affection person. It would feel so weird to me.

QueenieCarly said...

I was also informed that I'd be kissed, quite a few times, but most recently, by Aaron. I guess I'm just shy that way. Although, having been through that ringer a few times, I kind of like it too!

Don't knock the kissing greeting until you've tried it. I was a little nervous about that before I left for France, but once I was there, I loved it! I kind of wish I had at least one friend who was down with it. I'd much prefer that to hugging. Remember that when I see you in the summer. ;)

Kelley said...

Great post Evey! Angus is a licker too, but he is quite delicate with his kisses. You don't get a face wash. It's odd because the rest of the time he is an ungraceful clod so you think he would do the full slurpy kiss!

Andrea said...

Yes, what a romantic. It must run in the family! ; )

Cupcake Blonde said...

I loved your first kiss story. So cute!

I hate PDA too. I don't mind a kiss here or there, but I really don't need to see someone's tounge being thrust down another person's throat. Yuck.

breast augmentation san francisco said...

What a Kiss.. :):):)