Friday, August 15, 2008

Unless you live under a rock I am sure you all know about the horrific murder that happened on a Greyhound bus in Manitoba, Canada a few weeks ago. A human life tragically taken for no apparent reason other than the mental instability of a man who never got the help he needed. 22 years old and a young mans life was taken from him in a savage and viscous way. So many are left hurt in this tragedy--the victims family and friends, the family and friends of the accused and the people who witnessed something so horrifying that I am sure it will stay with them for a long long time. And yet in the midst of all the tragedy and grief there will always be the fanatical groups out there who have to have their say.

Cue the crazies over at PETA. You just knew they had to sink their teeth into this one. Listen, I am a HUGE animal lover. Anyone who knows me knows that. I respect a lot of the work PETA does in fighting cruelty to animals etc. But sometimes they are WAY over the top and need to know when to just shut their mouths. Not long after Tim McLean lost his life on that Greyhound bus on a desolate Canadian highway PETA released an ad that went as follows--

"Manitoba . . . An innocent young victim's throat is cut . . . His struggles and cries are ignored . . . The man with the knife shows no emotion . . . The victim is slaughtered and his head is cut off . . . His flesh is eaten. It's still going on! Right now, this exact scenario is reality for many. They are sensitive, they value their lives, they see what is happening, they cannot run away, and they often suffer greatly yet are being killed for nothing more than a fleeting taste of their flesh."

PETA had to go out of the way to compare the life of a HUMAN BEING to that of an animal. Are you freaking kidding me? Whether the way a pig is slaughtered is humane or not that pig was put on this earth by God with a purpose and it wasn't just to roll around in the mud all day. Tim Mclean was not put on this earth to be the release point for some sick and twisted killer. To compare Tim's life with that of a pig, cow or any other animal of your choosing is off the wall insane. What happens when the president of PETA loses a family member in a horrific way? Are they going to stoop as low to make the same comparison in their own lives?

THIS article I came across this evening was my motivation for this post.

"The killings we have witnessed on the slaughterhouse floor, the cries of the animals and their desperate struggles, don’t make the news, so it’s PETA’s job to put them there"

I hope you guys over there at PETA sleep well at night while the mother of a young man is mourning the senseless death of her child. I hate to break it to you folks there at PETA but it is not your job to open your mouth and exploit the death of another HUMAN being for your own benefits. Maybe try and have a little class and pick a better time to get your point across. This is why organizations like PETA and others like it turn me off. They will stop at nothing to get their point across even if it means comparing human life to that of a cow or pig.

I love animals and I do wish cows etc were killed in a little more human way. I agree that some of these animals suffer terrible deaths and it breaks my heart. But my stomach doesn't turn when I eat a steak but my stomach sure turns and I feel nothing but sadness when I think of the horrific death an innocent young man experienced. If that makes me a bad person then I own it.

For the record this post was not meant to be a debate on what is right and wrong as far as animal cruelty goes. It was simply my own personal frustrations on something that struck a cord with me. This is my blog and I feel I have the freedom to say what I want. I know people will read this and disagree with me but please do not turn my comment section into fighting match. If you have a problem with anything I have said email me and we can discuss it away from my blog. Then again since I am such a big blog slacker I am not even sure anyone still reads this thing outside of my family. lol.

My deepest condolences to the McLean family.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said, Yvonne!
Char

PandA said...

Wow, some deep thoughts there... I must live under a rock though b/c I didn't hear the story in the news. I agree PETA had no place in even commenting on it --- there's just NO similarities there.
~A*

1 said...

I totally agree, this was a brutal, unbeleivable crime. This is the type of crime punishible by DEATH, but that is a whole new discusion. God will deal with this man.
PETA, I am eating an Elk steak for dinner and loving it, go suck on that...
RIP Tim Maclean...

Evey said...

Ohh Elk steak...yummy!

Heather said...

I had someone on one of my flights who was on that bus... He was supposed to travel by bus the whole way home but after the incident, he flew the rest of the way. I don't think anyone who was a bystander on that bus will ever be the same again. I hope they all get the therapy they need, including the family of the victim. It's awful. I think about it a lot.

I don't agree with how animals are treated in slaughter houses or the farms leading up to the slaughter houses, but it can't be compared to this incident. Slaughter houses aren't against the law, so until that's the case, you can't really compare the two.

Andrea said...

AMEN! That is ridiculous...I couldn't put it any better than you did. The only reason I heard of that news story is because you told me about it, and I will say, it turned my stomach and I couldn't sleep that night! Crazy sad.

Tammy Williams said...

With regard to Heather's comment...I think anyone who has just HEARD the story may need to seek therapy - even if that therapy means talking it over with other people. I hadn't heard the story until my mom told it to me over the phone. Just tonight I had to get on a tour bus (much like a greyhound bus) and although I was sitting next to my husband, I was still a little uneasy. Heck, I can't even sing "The wheels on the bus" to my own kids anymore without twitching. Along with Yvonne, my heart goes out to the Maclean family.