Monday, April 30, 2007

The Dark Side...

People in Boston are crazy passionate for their sports, and rightly so. The teams out here are pretty good--well, at least the Red Sox and Patriots are. The Celtics and Bruins? Not so much.

Anyways, people out here tend to be a bit overzealous to get you to become fans of the home team. It's a bit like the Church of Scientology...."come to the dark side." I guess I don't understand people that have grown up in a city with a baseball or football team, then move here and all of the sudden become die-hard Sox or Pats fans. And I know quite a few of them. Did you just shun your childhood team? You can't do that! Please read rules 18 and 19 of
this article, because it's just not right. Actually, you should read the entire article on being a true fan. It should be law.

What also bugs me is the ignorant nature of the fans here. Guess what? THERE ARE OTHER PLAYERS IN MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL THAT ARE GOOD THAT DON'T PLAY FOR THE RED SOX. Crazy, isn't it?!?! It's like they all have blinders on, and nobody else matters. As you know, we went to the Mariners-Red Sox game a couple of weeks ago. We went to eat before the game and started talking to a guy a couple of tables down about the pitchers that were starting that night. The Red Sox starter, Daisuke Matsuzaka, came over from Japan in the offseason with a bunch of hoopla and all of the fans were excited because it was his first start at Fenway Park. Our starter that night, Felix Hernandez, is a 21 year old phenom who will be a great pitcher soon. Suffice it to say that the guy I was talking to was a typical Red Sox fan and didn't know a lick about Felix and figured they'd win the game easily. Oops. Felix threw a complete game one-hit shutout (for those of you that aren't baseball fans, that's really good.) I only wish that I would've ran into that guy after the game.

Of course, I have to throw in the caveat that not all Boston fans are idiots. Just
most of them.

3 comments:

Sketti said...

OMG! 2 Posts on a monday! Woman you are on fire!

I totally agree with you about growing up in one town and supporting a team your whole life and then switching just because you move cities...I am not a baseball fan, however...growing up in Edmonton and moving to Victoria I didn't switch and start supporting the Canucks...I of course still support the Oilers! But I don't know anything about Hockey really...or Football(english!) for that matter...although I do support Arsenal and will do till my dying day (other wise I'm sure Smiley would leave me! lol). Although...just for the record I don't support Arsenal just because Smiley does...I took a liking to them about 6 months after being in the country...thanks to Graham! lol

Sketti said...

Opps! Sorry Chris...I know it says you posted at the bottom but I had so much to say that I didn't even think to look!
Sorry to call you Woman! But you had some very valid points and my above comment still holds true. (Except for the woman bit ;) )

Andrea said...

LOL! That pic is awesome!