Thursday, November 17, 2011

Baby Fever

Realizing that this will be my 17th post in 17 days, I must admit I am a little shocked with myself. I know a few of my posts have been short, sweet and potentially borderline pathetic. But at least I have showed up and stayed committed to this NaBloPoMo thing. I do love to write and I am hoping that by doing this I will continue once the month of November is over. We shall see what happens. For now I will just focus on today's post.

When Chris and I first got married back in 2004 I was 26 years old. In fact we both were. Back then all my friends were married way before us and it seemed as though a new friend was popping out a little one every month. Clearly I am exaggerating, but at the time it seemed like a lot and I felt a lot of pressure that I had to start a family right away. We moved to Boston the week after we got married and it was there that any pressure I felt disappeared. 

Once we were settled in Boston, found a church and started making new friends, I started realizing that I was surrounded by couples older than us, none of whom had kids. We became good friends with a handful of them, and they were all older than us. The more time I spent with them, the more I felt at ease about our decision not to rush in to starting a family. It seems to be becoming more and more common these days for people to start families later. People used to make me feel like there was something wrong with me, or assume I didn't want kids and yes--on occasion--I have been told I am getting old. 

Truth be told, there is nothing wrong with me, we DO want kids and I am NOT old. Women are having kids later and later. I fully realize and understand things can become more difficult with age but I also know with the technology in our day and age it isn't as difficult as it once was. I am not concerned about my age. I truly believe if and when Chris and I are meant to be parents we will be. Whether I am 33 or 38. God already knows, so why question it? 

It seems these days I see babies EVERYWHERE! More than usual. It's like they seek me out. I can't even count how many people I know who have had babies in the past 6 months or are currently pregnant. In fact 2 of my best friends are due in the next week, one of whom is at the hospital as we speak waiting for her contractions to start after being induced today. So yeah, my baby fever is in full swing. 

Chris and I have enjoyed the past 7 years of our marriage--just us and of course our dog Belle. And we will continue to enjoy the way things are until the time comes when we add to our family. I think we are probably more ready now to start a family than any other time in our relationship. And no--that doesn't mean we are taking immediate steps to make that happen. It just means we are getting closer to taking that step. That being said, I would never trade one day of our lives together so far just the two of us. 

I need to get my health in check, my weight being a big part of that. I am not at a healthy weight, and I need to work harder to move myself towards that. I also still need to have surgery to have 2 benign lumps removed from my breasts. On top of that, I am due for a mammogram and hope things continue to be healthy in that regard. I need to take steps to make sure my health is where it should be, and then I can think about bringing a baby on board. 

I know whenever it happens for us that we will be beyond excited. I know Chris is ready to be a dad and what a wonderful dad he will be. He loves kids and equally they love him. And when I say kids equally love him, I am not messing around. There was a little girl in a highchair at Panera Bread two weeks ago that was literally just staring at him from across the room--even their parents were laughing about it! I am lucky and blessed to have him as my husband and our kids will be just as lucky to have him as their dad. 

And for the record this blog post isn't my secret way of dropping hints that we are pregnant or even that we are trying, because we aren't. I'm just simply letting you know we are thinking about it, so don't get all crazy on me. And if anyone tells me I am old and need to hurry up I will be forced to punch you in your face. 

I can't be the only one with baby fever? So fess up, who else is suffering from it? 

5 comments:

PandA said...

"I got a feva, and the only prescription is..." BABY! :D

Don't worry -- you're not alone in this. ;) No, we are not making an announcement either, but it's also ALL AROUND us... same as you. Anyway, when it does happen, I know you two will make amazing parents! I can't wait for you to have kiddos. <3 xoxo!

QueenieCarly said...

First of all, congrats on your dedication to NaBloPoMo, girlfriend! You're doing such an awesome job. I think we should continue to harass one another well after December 1st! :)

Baby fever? I've got it, too. In the same way, though. I'm aware of it (as is Kevin! lol) but we're not actively trying to become parents...yet. Yes, I'm a little concerned about my age, but I'm not quite rushing about it yet.

I'm having a personal baby boom this year, too. I swear EVERYONE I know has given birth or will very soon. I never even know I had so many people of childbearing age in my life! ;)

Kimberly S said...

Girl, you are going to make a great mom when the time comes! and no, you are not too old. We are looking into starting all over again as well.... I will be 40 in May! My husband will be 41 next month! don't let someone elses opion stop you from doing what is right for you guys! People think I am crazy to want to start again (remember: my kids are 19 and 17)... but in my heart I know that I want, and have wanted nothing more for 4 years!

Angie's Angle said...

I haven't commented here in a LONG time, but I am still here *waves* If you remember me hehe

Anyway...YES YES YES on what you said. I totally get it. And with us not having health insurance yet, that is a big stop on even trying. I have played with the thought, but its just not feasible, yet. I want kids, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen. I feel if its mean to happen for us, it will even if we aren't trying. ya know?

and if we once we can start actually "trying" hopefully it just happens.

Tammy Williams said...

When the time is right, you will know and it will all work out. Take care of your health and work from there. You will both be great parents! By the way, Declan asked me to call Chris to ask for his Chuck-e-cheese stickers back (haha).