Thursday, November 07, 2013

I'm An Owl...Hoo Hoo!

For as long as I can remember I have been a night owl. I think when I was younger it was more about feeling if I went to sleep I was going to miss something. When I was a kid--and after everyone was in bed--my mum always was up late watching her favorite shows. One of which was "Unsolved Mysteries" hosted by Robert Stack. I would sneak out of my bedroom and hide behind the wall separating the kitchen and the living room, and I would watch "Unsolved Mysteries" until she caught me and sent me back to bed. This was ALWAYS a bad idea on my part. The theme song was enough to scare me half to death every time. It was only made worse when Robert Stack appeared on screen and started talking. I get the shivers now just thinking about that guy. Watch for yourself and tell me this isn't creepy. Yet I kept on doing it. I always have been a sucker for punishment.
Perhaps that is where I get it from. My mum was always up late, but she was always up early in the morning getting breakfast ready for us and getting us out the door to school and seeing my dad off to work. I am very similar. Always staying up late and waking up early.

My sleep habits are terrible, I will be the first to admit it. The first mistake I make every night is I drink WAY too much liquid late in the evening. Wine, water, tea etc. This is not a good combination with my walnut size bladder. I am pretty sure I get up to pee 100 times a night. I may be slightly exaggerating that number, but sometimes it feels that way. My second mistake is the fact I have become accustomed to watching an episode or two of my favorite sitcom reruns while in bed. These usually consist of any mix of "Scrubs," "Boy Meets World," "King of Queens" or "The Cosby Show." Many a night Chris has to tell me to turn the TV off because I have fallen asleep in the middle of an episode. My third mistake--which should maybe be my first mistake--is the fact I just stay up late in the first place.

Should I maybe go to bed earlier? Should I not watch TV in bed? Should I stop drinking so much liquid leading up to bedtime? Probably. Chances are though, going to bed early is just never going to happen. My mum never did, she was a night owl through and through and so am I. Perhaps I will stop drinking so much liquid at night or watching TV in bed because getting up to pee all the time is REALLY annoying. Especially when you are warm and cozy and the last thing you want to do is get up. However, peeing the bed is not an option at 35 years old so I really have no choice.

So moral of the story is: Don't watch "Unsolved Mysteries" late at night, don't dream about Robert Stack--creepy shivers--don't drink a lot in the evening and don't watch TV in bed. Rules to live by. You're welcome!

No comments: