Monday, November 04, 2013

Pumpkin Extravaganza

I have always been a kid at heart. Some of my favorite things growing up have stayed my favorite things. I love animated movies, and Chris and I are always the only two adults in a theater full of parents and kids--although--we are much smarter now than we used to be and we go to such movies late on a weeknight (to avoid most of the children.) Also, I love Christmas morning and the anticipation of waking up hurrying downstairs to see what is waiting under the Christmas tree. 

A few weeks ago we set out an a Saturday afternoon to a local Pumpkin Patch. Amidst all the children, there is a 35 year old woman who is just as excited as they are to wander through and pick out the perfect pumpkin for carving. It was a little windy that day, but it was still a beautiful afternoon. We declined to wait for the free hayride and wandered on foot out to where all the pumpkins were waiting to be picked.
It didn't take me long to decide on the perfect pumpkin. I was happy and on my way. 
I made a new friend along the way. This fat little goat and I had a pretty good talk about the afternoon events, the weather, the corn field maze that had been damaged by a recent windstorm and about all the little kids constantly poking at him. I wished him well before I headed on my way. 
With the pumpkins picked all that was left to do was to go home and clean them out and carve them. I know that this stuff is not always Chris's favorite thing to do but I am thankful to be married to someone who is
willing to just go along with it and have fun anyways. 
I have an obsession with the Minions from the Despicable Me movies which was obvious from my Halloween costume so of course my pumpkin had to be in tune with that, How cute is this?  Chris decided to be all artistic and carve his pumpkin free hand. It actually turned out pretty good and scary.


A fun time was had. Just another "kid" thing I look forward to every year. I hope I continue to look forward to such things. I want to always have the ability to appreciate the joy in the little things. Sometimes enjoying things with a childlike appreciation is so much more fulfilling than looking at from a grown up point of view. 

"Life is not easy for anyone. Every human has to go through the phases of childhood, youth, middle age and finally old age. Many things that happen to us in life are because of us. In other words, whatever destiny may have been ordained for us in our own individual lives, it is up to us to make the best of what life offers us. The secret of living a long life is to stay young at heart." -- Marilyn Cramer

No comments: